Pages

One Pagers : Assessment for Higher-order Thinking Skills

Thursday, May 21, 2015



 I love One Pagers; yes, I drank the cool aide. I use them ALL the time, I use them in a variety of ways, they are an ever present force in my teaching arsenal. Lets step back and talk about what a One Pager really is.
     A one pager is an independent assessment tool used to gauge a student's understanding of a topic, concept, theme, book...really the options are limitless. The One Pager was created by AVID to " express their comprehension of, reaction to, and  connections with a specific area of study." One Pagers are great because they encourage creative thinking. There is no "right" answer, there is do specific question the student needs to answer. This allows the student to look back on their learning, reflecting and consolidating the information from class with their own prior learning.
      I also find that this type of assessment allows for natural differentiation amongst my students. I use Bloom's Taxonomy to guide my students and encourage their best thinking, as well as a structured way to look at passing one Pagers. For example, if students are creating a One Pager on the book Coraline, some students may only be able to recall what happened, while others are able to make implications regarding the motivation of a character. All students are able to show their learning, in a way that is accessible to them. This is particularly helpful for ELL students who may understand a great deal from a topic or unit, but lack the vocabulary to articulate their knowledge in a more conventional, traditional sense.
 

 Without further ado here are the parameters of a one pager as I use it in my class.



  1. All work must be only on one side of the paper
  2. Your first and last name must be clearly displayed
  3. start with a border that reflects the unit of learning or theme. ( this can include words, pictures, symbols, or even quotes)
  4. Using text as a starting point, write your reactions or connections with the unit of study.  Be sure to include your analysis and AT LEAST ONE quote from the unit. Remember, you must cite your quote with the page number, and explain it's relevance. 
  5. Draw a visual image. This could be a character, or a moment from a scene. You may also choose to draw symbols that convey an idea about the unit. 
  6. Draw a word cluster around your image. Use these words you highlight the importance of your chosen image. The word cluster may also artistically symbolize the subject matter.
  7. Write a poem about the unit of study, a character, or the theme.  If this is particularly challenging you may choose to compose an acrostic poem. 
  8. Personally connect to the unit with and "I believe" Statement. This could be anything you believe after you have completed the unit. 
  9. Create and Answer two questions about the unit of study. Think about Bloom's levels of thinking. Try to create and evaluate rather than remember and understand. 
  10. Be colorful and neat. Your entire page should be filled with these elements. If you have more room, you may choose to repeat any of the previous. No space should be left blank, and nothing should be left in pencil. 
I have always found, and I do me ALWAYS, that my students have understood and internalized so much more than I gave them credit for after reading through their One Pagers. They are thinking independently and showing how a unit has effected them personally, what they have learned. I normally use this as a summative assessment, but sometimes I like to use it as a knowledge harvest. When given at the beginning or mid  unit, it makes for a great formative assessment helping you to gauge what needs to be rethought and what your students have a firm grasp on. 

So, Yes, I love One Pagers. I think everyone should use them however they may fit best into their class. I just feel like it is a best practice on so many levels, helping to create they types of learners the world needs today. 


Update! March 20th:  I have recently added a freebie on my Teachers Pay Teachers store.

If you liked this post, or want to try out One Pagers in your classroom, click on the image below to be taken to my freebie you can print for your class.