I ran across the book, and I'm mid-way through, but I couldn't wait to log my initial thoughts. Now, I don't want to toot my own horn but teaching novels is what I do best. I love teaching literary devices, morality, life, everything really through the lens of a novel. I have also been told by many an administrator, fellow teacher, parent, and students that this has been their favorite part of the learning in my class. Imagine my surprise when I read the back of this book and was told that I'm doing it all wrong. I immediately downloaded the sample and read it. The ideas are quite interesting..but not completely dissimilar to what I'm already doing. At any rate I bought it, am reading it, and will be implementing in my teaching.
The basic premise is this, allow students to read THE ENTIRE novel before discussions begin. This initially went against the grain for me. I was flooded with questions. What if the kids don't read the book? How will I know if they are understanding the material? What if they don't get everything in it? But then Ms. Sacks presented me with an analogy. What if I was watching a movie, and becoming absorbed in it, and the lights were turned on midway through and I was asked to make comments and predictions to prove I was indeed watching and "getting it". I immediately decided I would give this new approach a try.
Sacks gives many ways to ensure that students are understand and cites research which supports her theory/ program. She details how to use the program to teach literally themes and devices as well as making connection to writing. I am intrigued. I am enthralled. I love PD, even if it is self directed.
I'll record my progress and thoughts as I process and implement this new methodology. You can check out the book here on amazon.
The basic premise is this, allow students to read THE ENTIRE novel before discussions begin. This initially went against the grain for me. I was flooded with questions. What if the kids don't read the book? How will I know if they are understanding the material? What if they don't get everything in it? But then Ms. Sacks presented me with an analogy. What if I was watching a movie, and becoming absorbed in it, and the lights were turned on midway through and I was asked to make comments and predictions to prove I was indeed watching and "getting it". I immediately decided I would give this new approach a try.
Sacks gives many ways to ensure that students are understand and cites research which supports her theory/ program. She details how to use the program to teach literally themes and devices as well as making connection to writing. I am intrigued. I am enthralled. I love PD, even if it is self directed.
I'll record my progress and thoughts as I process and implement this new methodology. You can check out the book here on amazon.

informative post! I really like and appreciate your work, thank you for sharing such a useful facts and information about self directed learning and development skills, keep updating the blog, hear i prefer some more information about jobs for your career hr jobs in hyderabad .
ReplyDelete